The Tandem t:slim X2 is an insulin pump with many innovative features. Here are some strengths and weaknesses of the Tandem t:slim X2:
- Touchscreen display: The t:slim X2 has a large, colorful touchscreen display that makes operating and monitoring the insulin pump easier.
- Basal-IQ technology: The t:slim X2 features Basal-IQ technology, which helps prevent hypoglycemia by automatically reducing insulin delivery when a low blood sugar level is detected.
- Control-IQ technology: The t:slim X2 also features Control-IQ technology, which helps control high and low blood sugar levels by automatically adjusting insulin delivery.
- Compatibility with Dexcom G6: The t:slim X2 is compatible with the Dexcom G6 continuous glucose monitor, which continuously monitors blood sugar levels and transmits them to the insulin pump.
- Updatable software: The t:slim X2 has updatable software that can add new features and improvements.
- No option to operate the insulin pump without a touchscreen: The t:slim X2 does not have a physical keypad, which may be inconvenient for some users.
- Requires frequent charging: Since the t:slim X2 has a touchscreen display and is equipped with Basal-IQ and Control-IQ technology, it requires frequent charging.
- Limited activity monitoring capability: The t:slim X2 does not have specific sensors to monitor activity level or physical movement to adjust insulin delivery accordingly.
The Tandem t:slim X2 impresses with innovative features and its slim design. The settings are easy to understand and include a basal rate, carbohydrate factors and corrections, as well as the duration of insulin action, which can be configured in different time windows. When combined with the Dexcom G6 sensor, the automatic “Control IQ” mode can be activated, which automatically delivers or withholds insulin when blood sugar levels are too high or low. The algorithm is based on conventional pump parameters. The pump is controlled via the touchscreen and no additional devices are required. The Tandem t:slim X2 allows for quick switching to different basal rates and is therefore suitable for flexible working hours, athletes, or shift workers. Another special feature is the ability to deliver insulin delayed for up to 2 hours. Overall, the Tandem t:slim X2 is an innovative and powerful insulin pump that provides intelligent support for individual insulin therapy.